Other Head Lice Removal Treatments
Why They Are Ineffective and Possibly Dangerous
Other treatment methods and lice removal products cannot remove ALL lice and nits on a human head and do not come with a 100% lice-free guarantee. Accordingly, the lice that remain continue to lay eggs, nits continue to hatch, and re-infestation occurs. Manual combing and removal of live lice and viable nits is the only way to properly treat head lice and prevent re-infestation.
There are no over-the-counter or prescription treatments that claim to kill lice that are totally safe and scientifically proven to be 100% effective against head lice and nits. These treatments are potentially harmful pesticides and reliance on them promotes repeated use and contributes to the toxic build up in the system and resistance to the pesticides. Are we really prepared to expose our children or ourselves to harmful chemicals?
Each person is unique and can react differently to chemicals. Although the FDA requires testing before the product is approved, it can’t foresee potential problems in every individual. It’s common for the FDA to hear about issues after the damage has been done. The National Pediculosis Association (NPA) warns there are many instances chemical head lice products should not be used. In general, children’s growing bodies are far less able to process these chemicals. They have less developed immune systems, their detoxification processes are not yet developed and their organs are still growing. This makes them far more susceptible and sensitive to toxic threats.
Over-the-counter treatments contain permethrin/pyrethrin, which is derived from chrysanthemums. Children and adults exposed to these products can have symptoms of redness, swelling, excessive itching and respiratory distress. In addition, published research indicates that 80% of adult lice are resistant to these over the counter treatments. Some studies have drawn connections between overuse of these products with leukemia and autism. Regardless, after the treatment is administered – the nits and bugs still need to be manually removed through combing.
- Solvents: Head lice pesticide preparations contain both “inert” and “active” ingredients. Active ingredients are the chemicals that kill the lice. Inert ingredients are the carriers for these chemicals. In lice treatment products, it is common for active chemical ingredients to be dissolved in an inert solvent. However, “inert” does not equal “harmless.” Exposure to these toxic solvents can be significantly worse than the actual chemicals themselves.
- Lice shampoos: Shampoos kill only 50-70 % of nits. Remaining nits will hatch, generating a cycle of re-infestation. Most people mistakenly believe one application of an over the counter shampoo will be enough to control the infestation. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Shampoos do not kill eggs under the age of four days. Manual lice and nit removal is still necessary.